From:
AMY ROBERTS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AMY ROBERTS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2007 09:19:05 -0700

  Greetings,

  Below is my original post regarding Bug Spray and some of the responses that I received.
  I'm still not sure that the company responded correctly (are we ever).  We used the heavy DEET one while camping.  I don't know if you've seen anything on the news about our huge bumper crop of Mosquitoes here in WI, but they are really bad this past week or so.  While the heavy duty spray worked, it was creepy to put that much DEET on my kids.   But then, I'm sure that West Nile Virus is no picnic either.

  Thanks for all of the responses,

  Amy in Milw.

   Hi all,

  My son had a rash develop after using an Off bugspray.  I called the company, because I thought that the Deep Woods Sportsmen Off was supposed to be GF.  I was told by someone (sorry, I didn't get her name), that only the Deep Woods Off Sportsmen- No Fragrance Formula in the small container with the blue lid is GF.  It's a concentrate with 98.11% Deet.  I had bought the one that says Long Lasting in a blue container that is only 25% Deet.

  So, the one you are looking for is a small containter (1 Oz.) and is usually in the camping section of Walmart, K-Mart, or in our area, Sears.  The UPC code is 46500 01849.  Again, the right one has a blue lid and an opaque white container.   This has been a banner year for ticks and mosquitoes, and we still have some camping to do before this summer is over.

  Hope it helps,

  Amy in Milw.

  I doubt it had anything to do with gluten.  Deet is toxic and many
people have reactions to it.   Plus there are also many other
chemicals in the spray, all of which can irritate the skin.

Sherene

  That is too weird.  Why would there be gluten in an insect repellent in
the first place?  (I know, I know, why is it in most of the prepared
foods.)  Did they actually say that the other sprays contained gluten,
or just that they could not (or would not) verify their gluten free
status? -- Claudia

    Thank you, it has been so unsually dry here that we have not had any bugs or ticks but with over a week of rain we are going to have them and I will be buying some.

I've never heard of gluten in the bug spray - but I have heard that
deet can
cause neurological problems, especially in children.
That was 15 years ago - when my kids were little - I have no source but
seem
to think I saw it on 60 minutes or another news documentary - so I let
them
get bitten instead and used calamine lotion to stop the itch (don't
know if
that's GF)  - now they seem to be immune to mosquitos.... go figure!

Janice.