From:
Julie Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 1997 08:07:22 -0400

I don't have a great deal of information on Triple Sec, but I thought it
might help someone:

I was a great margarita lover (before I got pregnant) and did try to quiz
bartenders on the origin of Triple Sec.  After giving up and just leaving
it out of margaritas, I finally talked to a seemingly well informed liquor
store employee.  I have no verification on this, just her information.
Triple Sec is a liquer (I'm not sure on the spelling).  These are
flavorings that are higher in alcohol content that liquor.  Her
opinion/knowledge was that most of the better liquers were made of brandy,
but it was likely that some of the cheaper ones would contain grain
alcohol.  Triple Sec is an orange flavoring.  We checked the bottles of
the three brands that were sold at her store.  There were no ingredients
or phone numbers and as I recall the addresses were not in the US.  She
recommended a substitution, since all I was interested in was margaritas.
She said orange juice (preferably concentrated frozen) would help replace
the flavor that Triple Sec adds.  She also suggested increasing the amount
of Tequila since a margarita with no Triple Sec would be weaker in
alcohol.

I never wrote the addresses (and can't find them now), but a well stocked
liquor store should have at least a couple of brands to write.  Or you
could just use a substitution.

If anyone has any better information than this (or if I am wrong on
anything), please let me know.

Julie Grantier