From:
Naomi King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 1998 09:11:14 -0500

Someone requested that a recipe for gluten-free pumpkin bread using a whole
14-oz. can of pumpkin puree be posted. I apologize for taking a bit to
respond, but this recipe makes a moist, dense pumpkin bread. If you like
spices, you will want to increase even further the amount of spicing. Good
luck.

I used the coarser white and brown rice flours, rather than Oriental rice
flour.

Pumpkin Bread - GF, EF

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Oil a regular sized loaf pan.

Mix well together:
one 14-oz. can pumpkin puree            1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup honey                           3/4 cup yogurt (I use homemade)
3 tsp. ground cinnamon                  1+1/2 tsp. ground ginger
3/4 tsp. ground cloves                  1 tsp. xanthan gum

Sift together in small bowl:
1/3 cup tapioca starch                  1/3 cup potato starch
1/3 cup white rice flour                1/2 cup brown rice flour
1+1/2 tsp. baking soda

Blend the flour mixture into the wet ingredient mixture until well
combined. Fold into the bread mixture:
1/3 cup currants                        1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Pour into prepared loaf pan; bake at 350 degrees F. in the middle of the
oven for 50-65 minutes. The batter will be thick, heavier than pancake
batter but looser than yeasted dough. You are looking for the bread to be
done when the batter no longer will jiggle and the crust is crispy brown.
If you bake it until you can remove a toothpick cleanly, the bread will be
overdone and dry. :-P

When the loaf is removed from the oven, place a folded tea towel over the
top to absorb extra moisture. Allow to cool at least 30 minutes before
slicing. I slice my loaf into eight to twelve slices. Delicious with nut
butters, alone, and with cream cheese. :-)

N.B.: I bake at sea level in humid conditions. You may need to adjust this
batter for high altitudes and dry conditions.

Naomi King
Maine