From:
Cris Ramsdale <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cris Ramsdale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Aug 2009 22:00:19 -0700

Thanks for all the responses...and for listening to me vent. It helps to be
able to express this to a group of understanding people.

Most helpful to me were the responses that said:
1. carry sanitizing jell/handy wipes with you and clean your hands before
eating. It is helpful for me to change my mindset to thinking of it a
general cleanliness...you don't know where your hands have been, so clean
them before eating with them.
2. I should be fine serving/interacting with gluten (as long as I don't lick
my fingers ;)). Some do react even at this level, but again I need to simply
remember to wash my hands before eating.
3. Many people travel successfully. It takes practice and planning but is
very, very doable.
4. Many said to remember this is our issue, not everyone else's, so to not
expect too much of friends and family. It is difficult for other people to
understand the extent of what is required to prepare and serve food in a
gluten free manner. (And we all had a learning curve ourselves when first
diagnosed), so plan accordingly. I liked the advice to go through the line
first/ serve self first so as not to worry about contamination from
utensils.
5. Some are fine giving family (friends) frequent reminders of how to
prepare GF food and being involved through the preparation to ensure its
safety.
6. Many told me I was being way too cautious...and some said you can never
be too cautious. So.
7. Some one told me to check out Dr. Peter Greene, so I'm curious to look
into what he has to say about the GF lifestyle.
8. I heard from moms and school teachers who prepared gluten food and
interacted with it on a regular basis and had no trouble because of good
practices (see #2 above).
9. Many good reminders to keep my chin up, it gets easier, and there will
always be rough spots, and to live and enjoy my life. Thanks ya'll!

Peace,
Cris