From:
Beverley Sokulsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 1995 23:14:55 +1100

Don Kasarda,
What you say about scientific investigations is true, but as to the
motives of defining levels of gluten in a product, I feel the National
Food Authority may have been trying to cut a compromise between
manufacturers and the needs of CD and DH patients. Particularly, with the
laws the way they stand now ( in Australia) it gives the manufac. some
leeway and notifies the GF public that they have a choice to make. Also,
as this is the first effort of any kind in Australia to define GF
labelling as well as police it, I don't consider it a bad effort.
Anyway, trial and error will always apply to any type of food we ingest.
In a few years One hopes that the scientific community will provide us
with sifficient data to overcome this condition, but inthe meantime we
should all be mindful of the basic facts and be responsible for our own
health.
Don, you ahve a good anylitical mind, are by chance a scientist?
See you,
Bev
Australia<[log in to unmask]>