From:
Helen Aqua <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Helen Aqua <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 2004 10:12:15 -0800

Dear Listmates,

I just spoke with a Revenue Canada agent about the process to claim the new
medical deduction for Canadian taxpayers who have celiac disease, or who
have a dependent with celiac disease.

She recently attended an information session for agents to find out about
new personal income tax rulings.

She said that we "simply" need to put together a simple table/chart like the
one in the Revenue Canada Celiac Disease deduction information publication
that lists the separate foods (prepared and raw ingredients), the cost of
the non-gluten
free item, the cost of the gluten free item, the difference in price between
the two items (assuming the gf item is more expensive), the quantity of
each item we used during the year and the difference in price multiplied by
the number of times we paid it.

We then add up our totals and simply include the dollar figure on the line
for medical expenses, along with any other we may be claiming, like dental
etc.

If you are sending in a paper copy of your income tax return you must
include a copy of your figurings as well as the letter from your doctor
stating that you have celiac disease.

However, if you file your return electronically (on line) you just need to
have those substantiating documents in your files in case they are ever
requested.

Interestingly, the woman I talked to thought that this process was going to
be too complicated and time consuming for anyone to actually go through all
their receipts and do all the figurings.

I told her what the cost of one loaf of gf bread cost me and she was
surprised and realized that this exercise might be well worth it after all.

If anyone wants any assistance putting together the documentation to claim a
medical deduction for gluten free food expenses for their 2003 income tax
return, or in designing a chart and process for monitoring costs in 2004,
please contact me.

For a very reasonable fee, I will do the work for you!

Helen in Vancouver, BC