Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 2003 09:00:33 EDT

I was at the conference in Denver and thought I would add something too on
Fosamax.  The reason it can lead to dangerously low blood calcium levels is
because, in order to maintain our blood calcium levels, our bodies draw it out of
our bones where it is stored, and we absorb it from the foods we eat.  If we
are having malabsorption, the only place to get it is from our bones.  Fosamax
acts by keeping the calcium in our bones, not allowing it to be "leeched" out.
 If we have malabsorption and we take Fosamax, we have no where to get the
calcium, and this can lead to dangerously low blood calcium levels.  It is
safest to wait until the intestines have healed before taking Fosamax.

Hope this helps too.  This is my understanding of what Dr. Green said at the
conference.

Anna