From:
Joanne Hinton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 10:45:04 -0900

hi all,
   first thing i want to say is thank you to all of you who took your time
to respond to my query how old?  i received 70 responses so my inbox has
been stuffed lately.  so here we go with some results, and a few
suppositions:

statistical average age: 30 years old

i had 40 women, 27 men and 3 people i couldn't determine the sex of
because they didn't sign a name and their email addresses were not
helpful.

the youngest person diagnosed was at infancy (one remarkable infant was
diagnosed in 1941! they could figure it out then, but can't do it now?!
=) )

the oldest was at 80 years.

of the women, 17.5% indicated symptoms started right around pregnancy

34% of you volunteered more information than just your age (all of what
i read was really interesting, though.  it made me glad that i only had
gluten intolerance and not all the other intolerances that go with it!)

of those 34%, 41% indicated they had symptoms or suspicions their whole
life.

16% of that 34% had symptoms since their teens

21% of you told me that a member of your extended family also had this
disease.  most commonly it was parents/children but there were also
siblings and aunt/uncle/neice/nephew, and grandparents

there seems to be a span from about 6 yrs to about 12 where diagnoses
does not seem to be made.  i can't help but wonder why that would be.
i also found it interesting that pregnancy seemed to trigger symptoms.
i wonder if the hormonal change has something to do with that.

again i would like to thank everyone who responded.  on the whole you
were a helpful bunch offering advice and support.  thanks!

joanne hinton
fairbanks ak