From:
Mary Thorpe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 11:15:22 -0400

I didn't find the reference Ann Sokolowski referred to the other day on the
Metro network website, but did a search on PubMed and think this may have
been the study that was referred to:

J Pediatr 2000 Jan;136(1):86-90

The prevalence of celiac disease in at-risk groups of children in the United
States.

Hill I, Fasano A, Schwartz R, Counts D, Glock M, Horvath K

Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, Wake Forest University School of
Medicine, Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27157, USA.

OBJECTIVE:  In contrast to its prevalence in Europe, celiac disease (CD) is
considered rare in the United States.  We aimed to determine the prevalence
of CD in children presenting with symptoms or conditions associated with CD.

STUDY DESIGN:  Individuals aged 6 months to 20 years were screened for IgG
and IgA antigliadin (AGA-IgG and AGA-IgA) and antiendomysium (EMA)
antibodies.  Those with only elevated AGA-IgG were screened for selective IgA
deficiency.  Patients with elevated EMA, or AGA-IgG elevation and selective
IgA deficiency, were advised to undergo small intestinal biopsy.

RESULTS:  A total of 1200 individuals were studied; 34 were EMA positive-26
(19 EMA positive) consented to biopsy and 21 had CD, giving a prevalence of 1
in 57 (21/1200).  Including the 15 EMA positive patients who refused a
biopsy, the prevalence of CD in this study could be as high as 1 in 33
(36/1200).

CONCLUSIONS:  CD is not rare in the United States and may be as common as in
Europe.  AGA and EMA are useful for identifying patients who should undergo a
small intestinal biopsy.

Pmid: 10636980, Ui: 20102778

It doesn't say how the sample was selected- that is a concern.

Mary Thorpe
Lab Coordinator
Nutritional Science
MVR 3M07, 353