From:
Gretchen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 2013 15:12:25 -0500

My recent upper GI had shown flattened villi and the doctor wanted to do a SIBO test. It does seem Bacterial Overgrowth can cause the villi to be damaged just like gluten.  Here is a summary.

SIBO or Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth is common with celiacs. The test is a bit of a scam (i.e. profit center for the GI docs).  My doc just goes by symptoms.  My previous doc owned the machine and did the testing at the drop of a hat. I'm prone to SIBO and have just finished a course of ABX to kill off all my gut flora. I'm now using VSL#3 to repopulate my gut with good bacteria. The breathe test catches one class of bacteria (can't remember which one) and not another, so even if you get an all clear from the test, it doesn't mean you don't have a bacterial overgrowth

Here is an excellent link, that discusses that SIBO damages villi just like gluten can:

http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/medicine/divisions/digestive-health/nutrition-support-team/nutrition-articles/DiBaiseArticle.pdf

NUTRITIONAL CONSEQUENCES OF SIBO

A major pathophysiologic consequence of SIBO

relates to the inflammatory epithelial changes that subsequently occur in the gut (7,8). The degree of mucosal

inflammation can vary considerably both grossly and

microscopically (7). The inflammation that occurs in

the setting of SIBO is nonspecific and is likely due to

the overgrowth of more invasive strains of bacteria.

This inflammatory process may result in a variety of

epithelial changes including the blunting of the villi

(9), other less visibly apparent damage to the brush

border and/or the elaboration of inflammatory

cytokines/mediators that may disrupt or inhibit the

absorptive process (10).

I had the SIBO breath test and it showed a lactose and fructose issue.  I have DFI, dietary fructose intolerance.  The book, The Self Help book of IBS by DeLamar Gibbons gives good info on it as well as Univ. Iowa.

It was mentioned to make sure gluten wasn’t slipping in to my diet.  I don’t think it is since all the blood work came back okay.

Several mentioned taking probiotics.   One important note, in order to take the test you have to be off probiotics for 5 days prior to the test.

Thank you for all the information.