From:
sandybill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 14:30:31 -0800

At 04:21 PM 12/28/1999 -0500, [log in to unmask] wrote:

>Season's greetings and healthy eating to all!  I am going to Guadalajara
>Mexico this summer as part of a college study abroad program.  Although I
>will be living with a family that has offered to accommodate my diet, I am
>curious to see if anyone has any tips on living and eating in this
>city.  Any suggestions/experiences/names of places to eat or products to
>buy would be wonderful!

I thought I'd send this to the list, since I got caught unawares. For those
southerners who like tripe, or in Mexico the tripe in the traditional
Menudo soup, be careful it. Tripe is the cow's stomach, and it's fuzzy on
one side because of all the villi. These are so numerous and packed that
they are hard to clean adequately, and since most cattle are fattened on
grains, they trap the gluten there. Unsuspecting, I got a good dose
recently, and it took me awhile to figure out where it came from. So, if
I'm right in my conclusion, be careful of any tripe from grain fed beef. -vance