From:
Anne Luther <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anne Luther <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 2011 19:15:08 -0500

I received about 100 responses - thank you very much.

About 90 people said they had both upper endoscopy and colonoscopy the same
day and saw no reason why it could not be done.  One said that Columbia
University will do both the same day.  Canada will also do the procedures
together.

One person mentioned that her insurance will not pay for both procedures at
the same time.

3 people mentioned that the doctor makes more money if the procedures are
done separately.

There were a few negative responses.
 It is dangerous to have both at the same time as one could aspirate and
choke. (I would think that this would be less of a problem if one was
sedated only once instead of twice)

I was told to follow my doctor's recommendations (If I had done that 8 years
ago I would probably be dead)

1 said that many doctors won't do a double procedure but did not know why.

1 said there would be too much air if both procedures were done together

I am not trying to get a diagnosis. I already know that gluten is a problem
for me and I have been gluten free for almost 8 years. This was for a
routine screening colonoscopy and the doc recommended taking a look at my
upper GI tract too. One person said if I was trying to get a diagnosis to
take a look at www.cyrexlabs.com

Again, thanks for all the responses. I think I will get a second opinion.

Anne