Date:
Fri, 26 May 2000 10:25:50 -0700

Thank you to all the *listies* who responded to my plea.

The overwhelming response was to substitute tofu (creamy) with a little
vinegar or lemon juice (or both) for sour cream.  Others recommended  a
product called Tofutti.  Apparently this is found in health food stores.  I
wasn't able to find any here in Windsor.

I also had a suggestion to use Hellmann's Mayo or something called IMO
(a sour cream substitute that is widely available in California).  It
is made by Dean Dip and Dressing Co., also known as Dean Foods, through
a division called Rod's Food Products.

I tried the tofu substitution and it worked beautifully.  I was very pleased
with the product.  Thanks again.

Chris in Ontario

Here are some websites to visit:
http://www.nomilk.com/
WWW.ALLRECIPES.COM
http://www.google.com/search

Here are some recipes I received.

1. add 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar, 2 tsp. lemon juice and 1
    tsp. sugar. Blend it all up for several minutes in a blender or food
    processor. You can add salt too if you like

2. 125 g silken tofu
    1 Tbs soy oil
    1 Tbs nutritional yeast (this is optional so you can omit it or change
         it to aminto broth/stock concentrate  -as I do - if you like)
    2 Tbs lemon juice
    2 tsp rice vinegar
    1 tsp Umeboshi plum vinegar (optional) or powdered kelp (fancy
         ingredients that I usually skip)
    ground rock salt to taste

Steam the tofu for 2 minutes, then combine with all other ingredients in a
blender and blend for 1 minute on high. You can make mayonnaise from
almonds, rice milk, oil and honey then blend that with this 'sour cream',
add garlic and spring onions and use that as a great dip. It's quite a bit
of work but it's worth experimenting with it and when you have the formula
make a whole bowl and keep it in the fridge. Almond mayonnaise is also great
for potato salad dressing.