From:
Karen Bulmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jan 1997 07:34:16 -0700

I am an "air-force" brat, that is I was raised by parents that travelled
from posting to posting with the air force.  We spent numerous years in
Europe and travelled extensively.  This was all prior to being diagnosed as
a celiac.

Even then, mom always said to take along some food with you as you never
know when you could get stranded, and besides food in airports, train
stations, etc tends to be more expensive. I was once stranded in Paris for 9
hours in the airport terminal, no French money.  We had just stopped to
onload more passengers when taxiing to the runway our planes tires got
lodged in a hole on the taxi strip.  They had to offload us, the baggage and
get a crane to move the plane. As I had some food with me I was able to eat
comfortably, the airline offered us a sticky bun and juice, coffee.  Anyway
the bottom line is that I was used to carrying food with me and now when I
travel it just happens to be gluten free food.  I know we, the celiacs of
the world, would like to be able to order a meal just as easily as the
non-celiac but reality is that more people do NOT know about the diet than
do know.

Little by little we may be able to make a difference but to be safer than
sorrier always carry some food with you that you can rely on.

Even when I go to friends houses for an evening I bring my own munchies.
Whenever we leave the house for an extended period of time, ie a meal will
take place while we are out, I have GF food to take just in case.

Karen Bulmer - St. Albert, Alberta