From:
"Andrew, Chris" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew, Chris
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 2009 19:31:36 -0800

Hi All,

I started the gluten free diet about 3 weeks ago. Prior to this, I was
diagnosed with SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth). My
endocrinologist prescribed antibiotics to treat the SIBO (she diagnosed
it), but my GI who diagnosed the Celiac with endoscopy does not believe
I should treat it. He thinks with the gluten free diet that my
intestines will right themselves and the SIBO along with it. My question
is this. Has anyone had SIBO and not treated it and it went away on it's
own with GF diet? My inclination is to treat it because it shouldn't
harm me to take the antibiotics and I don't want to risk it not going
away. But should I wait until I've been on the GF diet for a while? My
TSH is normal now (that was why I was waiting to take the meds per my
endocrinologist). I will summarize. Thanks in advance.

Chris

El Segundo, CA