From:
A Gilliland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2003 15:43:51 -0700

Hi All--

Soon after being dx'd with celiac, a new family doc
dx'd me with hypothyroidism, most likely associated
with the celiac. She put me on Armour thyroid
medication and I've been doing pretty well the past
year, until the first of April this year. I've had
moderate to severe leg muscle pain for several years,
but just since April, my leg muscles have been
cramping. Also, I've been struggling with severe
constipation for five weeks. I don't have health
insurance, but I'm going to go ahead with thyroid and
adrenal testing next week and pay for it myself. Until
then, though, I'm hoping someone on the list can help
me with some of my symptoms.

Has anyone heard of or tried something called
"triphala?" I found it mentioned in a book on
hypothyroidism. Can anyone tell me what it is and
where I might find it if it really is effective? It
was noted to be something that helps with the
constipation, which is a problem not alleviated with
increased fiber or laxatives in hypothyroidism. I
haven't checked the internet, but will do that
tonight.

In the meantime, any information anyone can share
regarding treatments that might be helpful, especially
for the constipation, would be greatly appreciated.
I'm now taking gf Solaray senna and gf psyllium, plus
a gf senna tea - in addition to veggies and fruits.
I'm hoping this is a temporary thing until I get my
thyroid medication adjusted, but since constipation
was my problem when I ingested gluten, I may struggle
with it the rest of my life.

Thanks for your help. I'll summarize for anyone who
might be interested.

Cheers,
Ayn in Alabama