From:
charlie white <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 1996 20:48:09 -0400

Hi All,

Am back from the convention in Montreal
I want to report a few findings, these are facts that were stated, not my
opinions, Ill do that later.

A doctor Alan Tenenhouse spoke on osteoporosis.
He stated that ostro. seems genetic and is also on the increase.
Who get osteo:
.. age
.. genetics
.. lifetime exposure to gonodal hormones
.. chronic illness, particularly gastro intestinal
.. organ transplant
.. drugs
.. adverse lifestyle

Roloxathine - new drug coming out on the market in 1 or 2 yrs.  Safer than
other drugs.
Calcium citrate with vit. D is the better tolerated form.

Oats

No studies done in 20 yrs.
Last study found patients in remission tolerated oats but long term risk
uncertain.

On Lactose Intolerance they said sugar and lactose intolerance seem to go
hand in hand and when the gf diet is followed for about 6 mo. the incidence
of intolerance goes way down.

The benefits of soybean(which some of us cant eat)and flaxseed were emphasized.

There was a lecture on The Psychological Aspects of Celiac Disease by Dr.
Alene Dover.
She stated that if at all possible every effort should be made for the whole
family to eat gf.
Childrens self esteem is often affected and that it would be very helpful if
a child could explain to the whole class in their words how they manage
their diet.
This lecture was concentrated mostly on childrens problems with the disease.

A few of my own personal observations -

I came away from the convention with a good feeling, a feeling that celiac
is very manageable providing the diet was strictly adhered to.  But there
are many things a celiac cant eat besides gluten and no mention was made of
that.

Two things struck me.

One is the incidence of celiac that seems to run in families. Many people I
talked to had first degree relatives who were on the diet or should be on
the diet.

Another thing is the psychological torture that alot of these people go
thru, especially new celiacs.  Many people are so misunderstood and not
supported by their families so as well as having to struggle with a totally
new way of eating and the setbacks they have to deal with all the other
problems like "that doesn"t come from my side of the family".

If theres anything that I learned I think its that we need to listen to each
other and talk if needed about this disease and all the hassles that go with
it.  Learning the diet of course is of paramount importance but the support
is so critical, some people do not have that.  It can mean the difference
between them accepting the diet or not.

Once again, you are all my wonderful friends on this list and I have learned
so much from all of you.  I am so greatful to be able to come up to my
computer and talk.  THANKS, THANKS, THANKS.

Janet in Maine