Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 15:05:19 -0400

Amy,
I can give you a very good easy to make "potage". And your answer for
thickening soup :  you can use potatoes or/and puree onions.

In a large pot you put:
1 Tablespoon olive oil + 1 tablespoon butter

You add :
2 cups onions cut in pieces + a few garlic cloves (minced)

After a couple minutes you add :
4 cups potatoes in pieces + black pepper + chives (dried, 2 tablespoon)
2 cups chicken broth (Cambpell's in a card box, 900 ml, very good,
inexpensive)

When it is boiling reduce to medium heat and add :
Any veggies you have, approx 6 cups cut in pieces
When everything is cooked just use directly in the pot a little manual mixer
to reduce to puree and add milk (1 cup, more or less).

I just made some with green wax been. Very, very tasty !

I cannot answer to other questions really well but I can tell you that I
NEVER buy any product elsewhere than at the regular foodstore. You well get
use to reading labels ; get a list of all the "names" you have to check and
bring it with you when you do the shopping. It takes a while when you first
start but you get use to it and once you find good brand you stick with
them. Just reread labels once in a while to make sure you are still safe. I
think the kids can eat the same way you do without any prejudice to their
health but that could be a good thing to check this with their pediatrician.
Hope this help a little and do not get discourage : you will make it !

Mireille (Gaspesie, Quebec)