From:
Valerie Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Dec 2004 16:51:10 -0500

I had eighteen responses to my question about whether anyone has had
difficulty with absorbing their oral medications (in pill form) after a
severe gluten reaction. I wanted to know particularly whether more than
just the villi are damaged in a gluten reaction and if oral medications are
absorbed just in the intestine or elsewhere. Here is my summary.

Regarding damage from a gluten reaction:
-- Two people said that the wall of the intestines can be damaged in
addition to the villi
-- One individual’s doctor said that a gluten reaction “would cause the
entire digestive process to go awry”
-- One person stated that the entire body could be damaged
-- Ron Hoggan, Ed. D., responded: “The dissenting doctors are ill informed.
Celiac disease impacts on the entire digestive tract from mouth to anus.
Many celiacs, myself included, develop aphthous ulcers in the mouth,
esophageal ulcerations, and anal sores, in addition to the usual symptoms,
following a gluten exposure. Celiac disease not only impacts on the entire
digestive tract, it can cause a wide range of autoimmune symptoms in any of
the other body systems.”

About absorption of oral medications:
-- Three people personally experienced not properly absorbing their oral
medicine after a gluten reaction
-- One doctor responded, “Villi are situated only in the small intestine
lining, but unfortunately it is precisely THERE where 99% of the absorption
of nutrients and medicines take place!” (MA Greaves MD PhD)

In sum, it appears that much more than the villi can be damaged from a
gluten reaction and that in any case the villi are responsible for the vast
majority of medicine absorption.

As I had mentioned last week, medicines can be given through an IV or
injected as alternatives to being taken orally in pill form. Acouple of
people on this list suggested the possibility of drinking the medicine or
absorbing it under the tongue. In my mom’s case, the nurses inserted
a "pick line" into her arm that can remain for up to six weeks. We are
fortunate that this line has allowed her to be at home rather than remain
hospitalized. While she is not allowed to inject the medicines into the
line at home, her hospital does have an infusion center where we have taken
her two to three times a day this past week. The good news is that her oral
meds seem to be absorbing better these last couple of days and so she may
no longer need the infusion center visits.

Thank you to everyone who responded and for your prayers.

Happy New Year.

Valerie Smith