From:
Mike Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 1995 08:01:36 +0100

>Thankyou so much for sharing your knowledge with this list. I have been
>reading the vinegar letters and shaking my head. ....deleted..... Wouldn't
it be nice if someone could teach people with CD what all those chemicals on
>food labels really mean.

Leanne
I expect that most people with CD are not trained chemists. The mathematical
odds are really quite strongly against this possibility..however..they seem
to be very aware of their needs and are all capable of reading and
usnderstanding labels if the labels conform to simple rules. The labels do
not always seem to do this. The complex legislation combined with the food
manufacturers need to keep GF and other diet problems low key, in order to
avoid scareing so called normal eaters, and the different approaches af
various mfgs make the problem confusing for even the most dedicated label
reader. e.g. Spices, Flavourings, Herbs are but 3 descriptions that are legal
in the UK, but do not disclose Gluten Content. Modified Starch in the UK is
often corn starch but does not have to be.

No matter what your qualifications if the information required is not
present..you are guessing, and you would have to ask more questions like
everyone else.

I am sure that everyone on the list however would be pleased to receive any
constructive and informative advice form any qualified contributors.
Regards
Mike Johnson