From:
Bev Messner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bev Messner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 11:50:18 -0500

I live in Ohio, but my problems have been encountered in other states as well.   I take bread with me to a restaurant and ask that a sandwich be made.  Yes, the bread is taken back to the kitchen with specific instructions on what to do.

Many times, the manager comes back with the bread and refuses to prepare my sandwich, stating the health department would shut them down if they did so.    In the past I checked with the health department in my county and this was not actually the case, but more of a misinterpretation.   Whether I am served or not also depends who the manager on duty is.  Some are extremely cooperative, some are not.

Today I again called the health department to discuss these issues.  He went further and discussed it with the state.   He was told that if a ruling had to be made, they would rule in favor of NOT being allowed to bring food into a restaurant....at least for preparation in the kitchen as this could lead to all kinds of food being brought in, not just bread.

BUT..... he said it is possible to receive an exemption by The State Food Safety Advisory Committee for people with celiac disease.   I suppose this would have to be put forth and perhaps a law passed.   But just think, wouldn't it be nice to have these establishments aware that there are needs like that out there?

I don't know how many of you actually try to take foods into restaurants.  I know some mention taking pizza crusts in, etc.   Please don't write to me detailing how dangerous this practice is, and that my food will probably be contaminated. I know that, but I also try to put my trust in just one or two restaurants locally.   The point is, we are trying to educate these people, but it is definitely a slow process.

Just food for thought........      :-)

Bev