From:
Elaine Mathews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jun 2001 17:59:34 -0500

I wanted to post this since I found it in our weekly Catholic Bulletin and
addresses not receiving the host.

Q.  Must I receive both the body and the Blood of Christ to fully receive
Him?

A.  In recent years there has been a renewed interest and practice of
receiving the Eucharist under both forms or species, bread and wine.
But this is not necessary to receive the Eucharistic Presence of Christ.
The Council of Trent taught that the Presence of Christ in the Eucharist
begins with the words of consecration and endures as long as the species
of bread and wine subsist.  Furthermore, Christ is present whole and
entire in both species and in all parts of the species.  So if the bread
is broken the Presence of Christ is not divided.  (Catechism #1377)  If
one receives a larger portion of bread, they do not receive more Christ!

In the General Instructions of the Roman Missal, paragraph 240 states, "The
sign of communion is more complete when given under both kinds, since in
that form the sign of the Eucharist meal appears more clearly.  The
intention of Christ that the new and eternal covenant be ratified in his
blood is better expressed.."Para.241 goes on to remind us that we are not
deprived of any grace necessary for salvation when we receive Communion
under one form.  People who are allergic to wheat may receive just the cup
and they gain the same grace and Presence as one who receives just the
bread.  Christ is present fully and completely, whatever the sacramental
form we choose.

Elaine