From:
Barb & Glenn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barb & Glenn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Aug 2009 08:02:30 -0500

Hi Everyone,

It has been a long time since I posted something, but Beth's post about
gluten free symbols and working together made it so that I just had to
respond.

I wholeheartedly support her comments.  I, too, respect all of the
organizations who are working to make our lives better.  However, that being
said, it is my opinion that it would greatly benefit the celiac community to
"speak with ONE voice" to really get things done.

I do not have a business or any financial reason for my views.  I lead a
local support group and work with the newly diagnosed at the closest level.

The basic gluten free diet is not that difficult to explain, but when it
gets to the labels and what the different things mean and which ones are
"really safe" to eat, it gets very confusing to a newbie and sometimes to
those who have been following the GF diet for awhile.

Beth also makes the point that all of these different symbols and programs
add to the cost of our gluten free foods.  In the present economy, that is a
luxury that we cannot afford.

Once again, I appreciate all that the different groups are doing to educate
and promote better food labeling so we can distinguish which foods are safe,
but I wonder if major mainstream companies would be more willing to label
foods gluten free if we could settle on just one universal method or symbol
that stood for "gluten free."

Thank you, Beth, for sharing your views and thank you all for allowing me to
voice my opinion.

Happy GF Eating!
Barbara Hicks
Tri Lakes Celiac Support Group