From:
Pamela D Hudson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 20:26:31 -0500

     I wrote to the list on 3-7-00 asking for help for a young woman with
severe pain and nausea.  She had had an endoscopy, but did not think the
doctor did a biopsy!  I asked for feedback on the pain and nausea as well
as doing the endo without doing a biopsy.  You all really came through!
Thanks so much!  I printed out some of your responses to give to her and
she felt heartened that other people had been though the same kind of
problems, found answers, and were now healthy!

     Here is a summary of the responses--and I received 41 of them!

     1. Nausea is frequently a symptom of celiac, as is pain on the left
side!

     2. 16 people pointed out that just "looking" during an endo doesn't
do anything!  The doctor must do the biopsies!  Suggestions were for from
3 to 50 specimens.

     3. 9 people said to look for another doctor.  Many GI docs just
don't know enough about celiac to even know what they're doing.  1 person
said it took 19 doctors before she finally got a diagnosis.  And 1 person
recommended finding a GI familiar with cd by getting a name from a local
celiac group.

     4. 5 people said to be sure to ask for a blood test!  And, "vance"
was kind enough to send the list of competent labs.

     5. 3 people suggested going on the gluten free diet anyway.

     6. Other possibilities pointed out by 1 to 3 people:
          a. gall bladder
          b. Crohns disease
          c. diverticulitis
          d. irritable bowel disease
          e. pancreatitis
          f. ulcer
          g. reflux
          h. kidney stone
          i. h. pylori
          j. a possible gyn connection
          k. other food intolerances

     7. Other words of wisdom------ask lots of questions and don't count
on support from your doctor!

     Thanks to all for your much needed help!

     Pam
     Missouri, USA