From:
Mary Thorpe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Thorpe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 2005 11:38:12 -0500

I'm looking for advice about vacuum sealers. I know little about them but
I'd like a way to preserve the wonderful springy quality of freshly baked
bread.  I'm discouraged from making it very often because I don't eat it up
quickly and it either dries out quickly if left at room temperature, or I
freeze it and that changes the texture, too.  It can be softened by short
microwaving, but that isn't always possible.  I made bread over
Thanksgiving, and had marvelous turkey sandwiches for a day or two at least!

 From what I've read, with some units the bread might have to be frozen so
as not to be crushed when the vacuum is pulled. That would defeat the whole
purpose!  Some units have variable time and intensity settings.  Does that
allow for successful sealing of fresh bread?   I bought some bread at a
health food store recently that was vacuum sealed and displayed at room
temperature. I have yet to open it, and it still looks and feels great, so
I know it's possible.

Please let me know your experiences and recommendations.  Of course, I
would like it if the unit were not too expensive!

Thank you!

Mary