Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 08:17:01 -0800

Since milk intolerance of some kind is so common among celiacs and pseudo
celiacs alike, I wonder if others have noticed the same problem I have: I
found out about my dietary problems with gluten and with milk four years
ago at the age of 61. I had a hard time believing especially the milk since
I'd been such a big milk drinker all my life, but as soon as I cut it out
of my diet for short while I noticed two things: 1. I am really severely
intolerant to milk; just a half teaspoon of it will ruin me for three days;
2. it not only hits me in the usual method in the GI tract, but it also
affects my urinary tract.

I had always had to urinate frequently; it was a real nuisance on bivouac
in the military :) As I got older it became more of a problem so I went to
a urologist who tested me and insisted I needed minor prostate surgery. I
had it, it didn't help any. But as soon as I switched to lactose free milk
(Lactaid 100) I quit going so often. I went about half as often. Then after
drinking that for four years, I noted that when I didn't have even that for
dinner, I didn't get up near as often at night. So I dropped the Lactaid
100 from my diet; that cut my trips to the bathroom again by half. So I am
now four times better off that way (about normal) than I have been all my
life. So it now seems that I had that damned TUIP prostate surgery for
nothing. Luckily he didn't talk me into the big one -- or an amputation of
something for that matter :)

In short, has anyone else noticed such problems or am I completely
eccentric in this aspect? -vance