From:
Rhonda Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 21:45:53 -0500

We're going to try a month long lactose free diet in addition to the
gluten free diet which my 17 month old daughter Jessie has been on since
October.  She already does not cow's milk  but loves cheese and yogurt.
Please advise on brands of soy or other cheeses that a toddler may like,
as well as any advice for going lactose free.  We eat plain butter all
the time, since this is the fat only, does it contain lactose?  What
would be a gf subsitute for butter?

I am nursing Jessie, does this mean I should not consume lactose too?  I
don't drink cow's milk, but do eat cheese and yogurt.  Should I not?  I
know the cow milk protein can be transferred through breast milk, but
can lactose?

We are trying this diet because Jessie's ph levels are too low - an
indication of malabsorption even though she has been on a gf diet since
October.  It was  also suggested that the diet should be sucrose and
fructose free too (is there any thing left for a toddler to eat at this
point?).

Thank you for your help.

Rhonda