From:
Mat Rudd <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 1 May 2005 21:58:17 -0400

My five and six year old children are approaching the time for their first
communion. The host has gluten in it. They make rice hosts but the Catholic
church does not recognize them and they cannot be used during communion.
 One thought is to let them have the regular gluten host once during the
first communion, but then what? Ideally they should receive communion
weekly, and intentionally exposing them to gluten on a weekly basis does not
seem like a wise decision.
 Personally, I'm disappointed in the Catholic church on this subject. Is it
God's will to harm his children? I wouldn't think so but priests don't seem
to share that point of view. We've contacted several priests and received
the same answer.
 I'd love to hear if anyone else has faced this challenge, and what you did
to overcome the situation. There was a story about this on a news program a
while back, but I don't remember there being a helpful conclusion. Any
feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated.
 Thanks,
 Mat & Andrea