Date:
Sun, 23 May 1999 11:49:19 -0700

I asked if anyone knew which labs were good for testing (blood and biopsy)
for celiac. I received two answers. The first is fairly through. The second
was pretty much what is there sent barebones. -vance

<<As chairwoman for a celiac-sprue support group, I remember seeing this
answer in one of many newsletters. Ann Whalen, editor of the Gluten-free
Living newsletter states the following:

In the scheme of medical expenses, the gluten antibody tests are
relatively inexpensive, coming in at under $200.00 for the entire panel.
Currently, these tests are performed at four locations in the US (call
for information on how to prepare the blood sample)
1) IMMCo Diagnostics, Inc. (Buffalo, NY) 1-800-537-TEST
2) Immunopathology Lab, U. of Iowa Hospitals 1-219-356-2688
3) U. of Maryland at Baltimore (Baltimore, MD) 1-410-706-1997
4) Specialty Laboratories 1-800-421-7110 (for additional info, please
call Client Services at 1-800-421-4449 or visit the website at:
   http://www.specialtylabs.com
If I was to pick one of these, I would probably go with the one in
Baltimore, since this is where the 3-year blood study is being done for
celiac disease and their first degree relatives. Dr. Fasano and Dr.

Horawath (sp?) are very involved with celiac research there. I went to
the celiac conference back in 1997 and it was well worth the knowledge I
received.>>

<<www.prometheus-labs.com>>

This was an interesting website. Their section on allergy and immunology
was especially interesting; under this they had sections on: Food allergy;
IgA deficiency; IgE and IgE antibodies. One of the interesting things they
said was, "Atopic sensitization to cow's milk is the most common food
allergy." If anyone else has any sources that tell about the best labs for
celiac testing, I'm still looking. -vance