From:
Chris Myer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Dec 2001 12:57:28 EST

I got many responses to my noodle request. I went with Tinkyada brown rice
noodles, but willl probably try some of the others as time goes by.  Thanks
for the help!  There is more emails but I cannot get them all to go through
the system. CC

Suggestions : Quinoa, Tinkyada, DeBoles Corn Spaghetti, Bi-Aglut,
oriental/asian, EnerGFoods

" Any health food store I've ever seen has GF spaghetti. I recently
served the Tinkyada brand in a Lasagna to a houseful of non-celiac
Christmas guests, and everyone loved them.

"
A lot of health food stores sell corn or rice noodles.

I have found that I prefer the corn noodles as they
taste more like the "real" thing.  Quinoa noodles are
also available and are quite tastey.  Most of the
catalog companies offer gf spaghetti noodles as well.

"Tinkyada makes rice pasta that  is very good.  Fresh Fields/Whole Foods
sells them.

"I buy DeBoles Corn Spaghetti and it is incredibly good.  I can't even tell
the difference.  It is more caloric, but who cares.  It is my one chance to
pretend I am eating real pasta.  Enjoy.

" Bi-Aglut which is imported from Italy is the absolute
best.  Dietary Specialities carries it as do several
other vendors.

"Try Energy foods rice spaghetti noodles available at health food stores.
They taste the same.

"I shop in an oriental/asian store and buy all my noodles, both thin like
spaghetti and wider noodles for soup and dishes like chicken and noodles.
The package contents only list rice and water as the ingredients.  I feel
the contamination would not be an issue, as the Asian population eats many
rice products. I have never had a reaction and can buy them for 99 cents a
package.  It is certainly cheaper than going through a health food store.
Just an idea.

" My daughter prefers PastaRiso brand, they make both rice and potato
pasta ...  Tinkyadda is another excellent brand .. plus some I have not
tried like EnerGFoods, BiAglut, etc., etc.

"The best Spaghetti I've found yet is the brand BiAglut, it's Italian or
German, and it's wonderful. It takes a little longer to cook, but I
think it even tastes BETTER than regular noodles,  its expensive though.

The best price I've found yet is at the Gluten-Free trading Co.

"I've tried the Quinoa spaghetti noodles, you'll probably have to look for
them in health food stores and/or the health food section of the grocery
store.  I found them at a co-op.  They cook quicker and not as gummy as the
rice noodles.

"We use Rice sticks we get at an Indian store.  The
last one we picked up is from Thailand.  Rice
bermicelli is the name.  Ingredients are rice
flour,and water.  They are easier to cook. Just boil
water and pour over the noodles and let stand 3 to 5
minutes.

I like it better than the old pasta.

"In my opinion and the opinion of my family, the best spaghetti or vermicelli
noodles by far are the EnerG spaghetti rice noodles. I think it is just rice
and water in them. there is very little difference between these gf noodles
and the gluten ones, thank heavens. I use them for spaghetti and pasta dishes
all of time with big success..........the only thing that is different is
that you have to cook them for about l0 minutes, not two minutes like the
gluten ones.........

"My daughter and I eat rice noodles that we buy at the Asian grocery store.
There's a good range of diameters  - I can't guess which type you ate
pre-diagnosis

"Any that you can eat are no where near the ones you used to buy. Look at
your health food stores to see what they carry and there are some recipes in
the Hagman cookbooks but at best you could say that they are edible.

"Tinkya'da brown rice noodles are the best ones I have ever had!  I find them
everywhere and a web site is www.tinkyada.com  a Canadian company.

"I sometimes purchase noodles (spaghetti and lasagna) at a local health
food store.  If you have one nearby, you might check that out.  Quinoa
corp. on the web sell noodles but since quinoa flour has a strong taste,
I would assume the noodles have the same strong taste.  Not for everyone
I imagine.