From:
Tamara Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tamara Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Nov 2005 07:57:51 -0800

I received many replies regarding the Blue Diamond Nut Thins!  Several people pointed out that they are made in a facility that also processes wheat products, so those who are sensitive to cross-contamination should steer clear.  Also, it appears that this product has been discussed on this list before, so I apologize for throwing it out there without checking the archives first.  That said, I'll share comments and thank everyone for sharing their ordering and serving tips...

"I know that the ranch for sure and maybe one other flavor are not gluten free.  I really like the product too and regularly buy the almond ones."

"Amen to the Blue Diamond Nut Thins - I have survived basically on these crackers since my celiac diagnosis about two years ago.  I carry them with me every where I go - parties, restaurants, etc."

"You may already know about this site, Tamara, but I order Nut Thins from thebetterhealthstore.com.  I order about a dozen at a time and put them in the freezer.  Last time I ordered, they were $1.99 each which is a pretty good deal.  If you order a certain amount (they have lots of other things) you even get free shipping.  I agree - they're good!"

"I have these crackers cut into fourths, kept in a little gold tin at the altar for early communion. Gives me an opportunity to participate in receiving The Host at early communion.  Unlike many gluten-free crackers they do not have to be kept in the freezer to be good. We use them this time of year with chicken salad, tuna salad, pimiento cheese treats on the holiday table."

"I've been using them for years and love them.  Great with cheese, lox and cream cheese and many other things."

"My family has gotten violently ill on these crackers. They said when they were called they go make wheat products so there is crosscontamination possible. I didnt know my husband was that easily effected but it may be high  cross contam."

"Tamara - they are good and I've found non-celiacs like them too so they are good to take to social events."

"Our 9 year old celiac lives on these crackers -- even makes mini pepperoni pizzas on them in the microwave. I love the crackers too!"

"Perhaps something has changed, but in the past they were merely not made with gluten ingredients and they most certainly were cross-contaminated, as experience showed for many fellow listers.  Assume nothing and inquire as to their manufacturing facilities if you plan to use their product.  Good luck!"

"It is very confusing the way they use their labeling language.  I believe their label says no gluten added.  They do however have a disclaimer about cross-contamination.  I will also say though that we do eat them here at our house and have never had any problems.  I just wanted you to be aware that they are not gauranteed GF, unless that has changed in the last year.  The smoke house almond is our favorite."

"they are really good but contaminated. if your very sensitive...you will have a reaction. i had to give these up unfortunately"

"If you look closely I think you will find they are made in a facility that also processes wheat, at least that is what they told me on the phone over  a year ago.  They are delicious but if there is a contamination issue then we have to pass on them, much as I hate to do that."

"Hazelnut and almond are also good.  One of my favorite quick snacks is putting pieces of soy cheese on a few crackers and melting it in the microwave.  Veggies on the cheese also works well."

"They are delicious... but are not made in a dedicated facility.  As I healed, I got more and more sensitive and can't eat them anymore because of what I suspect is cross contamination.  But, I'll agree they are really yummy."

"I have recently tried them, also, without overt reaction, but there are cautions that you didn't remark in your posting, namely:
1. Their Nut Thins have been around for years, in a differently shaped package. The old packaging did not assert that they are "Gluten Free", but only stated: -- "No wheat or gluten added", with an additional statement on the packages: -- "Produced in a facility that also makes products containing: dairy, soy, other tree nuts, and wheat."
2. Although the new packaging does now state: -- "Wheat & Gluten Free", instead of: -- "No wheat or gluten added", it still contains the statement: -- "Produced in a facility that also makes products containing: dairy, soy, other tree nuts, and wheat." And, for example, the ingredients list for the Almond Nut Thins on the new packaging is identical to that on the old packaging.  So, it appears that the new packaging just represent a change in labeling, and not an actual change in their processing to make the crackers in a dedicated, GF facility or production line with no chance of cross-contamination.  If that's the case, then the new packaging is very misleading, and the original labeling of "No wheat or gluten added" was more appropriate. I have never had any problem with the original Nut Thins, but other Celiacs have reported in the Digest in the past that they do have a reaction. (Of course, if there is contamination, the gluten acts on your gut whether you get an overt reaction or not.)
3. You may possibly be misinterpreting the significance of their package (& web site) statement that - "We are proud to support Celiac Disease Foundation", when you said in your posting: -- "so I assume they are working with them to ensure that the thins truly are gf."  What would "working with them" mean? The questions are: (1) are they using suppliers & sources the for rice & other ingredients that are assured to be GF? And, (2) are they produced in a separate facility where no wheat / gluten is ever used? The new package seems to make the answer to the second question clearly, NO."

~Tamara in Sacramento