From:
Nancy Garniez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Garniez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:17:28 -0800

Dear List Friends:

Last week I posted a notice questioning what list members thought about verifying information before summarizing replies received to postings.

The replies were numerous, and may be summarized as follows:

All who replied agreed that it is virtually impossible for any one person or source to "verify" information in a manner that would apply to or make sense to the wide range of needs/people who use this list for support, encouragement, information, suggestions, etc. etc.

One person interestingly suggested that I contact a medical professional for verification.  This reminded me that it was advice from a medical professional that probably precipitated the bacterial overgrowth from which I have been suffering for the past three months.  Even such advice has to be evaluated from the standpoint of the individual involved.

To further illustrate that point: today I visited a physiatrist for a re-evaluation after a month of intensive physical therapy for severe muscular tightness.  I noticed that after treatment for the bacterial overgrowth the tightness was suddenly dramatically reduced, and speculated on a connection.  This MD, an esteemed doyen of the field, confessed his own ignorance about such a connection, saying that a few years ago he would have laughed at it; but that a younger colleague whom he greatly respects was tremendously interested in and knowledgeable about it, and would probably agree that the two were closely interrelated.

In short, read the disclaimer at the top of every message you receive on this list.  Respect those who take the trouble to summarize; that is all we are doing -- summarizing.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Nancy in nyc