From:
Tandi Hartle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 15:35:32 -0700

  I recieved many responses ranging from sympathy for what I deal with
eating with my in-laws to people telling my I don't have Celiac disease.  I
will summarize the most informative of replies.

  One person suggested that I probably didn't have celiac if my symptoms
weren't very severe after ingesting gluten.

  Well actually I do have reactions.  I get severe abdominal pain that
leaves me using breathing techniques to cope with the pain and I get severe
diarrhea and usually will lose a couple pounds after having diarrhea for a
couple days.  The idea of cheating on the diet scares me but at the same
time those Subway sandwiches and yummy pizza sure look good.  The only
reason I ever considered cheating on the diet was my belief that maybe the
Serenaid or enzymes would help ease the reaction.

  One person said that Serenaid could cause seizures for celiacs and that I
should not use it.  Although on the website it says that using Serenaid for
celiacs as a daily supplement (Without going off the diet!)  couldn't hurt
and that it may help with digestion so I don't know what to think of this
comment.

  Another person said that they liked the enzyme supplement from kirkman
labs.

  I recieved a message stating that a peptizyde from www.houstonni.com was
more refined and more potent and it would help much better for accidental
ingestion.

  My in-laws are difficult to deal with and many suggested not eating with
them.  That is a BIG problem because they have birthday dinners for everyone
including me, they have Christmas parties and Thanksgiving every other year.
  My husband is really close with his family so I can't just refuse to eat
with them.

  I do bring my own salad dressing and rolls usually. I always make my own
dessert as well.  Actually we are having a birthday dinner for his mom
tommorrow and I'm trying to find out what we are eating.  I'm doing the best
I can with this.  Most of my frustration is with my husbands twin brother,
he loves to sneak crackers and bread to my daughter while I'm not looking.
It makes me angry because of all the symptoms she suffers and she is so
young she doesn't know the difference between her bread and NON GF bread.

  The suggestion of putting ex-lax in their food to see how they like it is
very tempting :-)  Then I could get a laugh out of making them sick.  Okay
but I won't do it :-)

  Many people told me not to cheat on the diet.  I know some people do
really well on the diet and don't have strong cravings.  Unfortunately I am
struggling a little.  I mean come on have any of you had a decent piece of
gluten free bread or pizza?  If you have I'd like to know where you get it.

  My final take on Serenaid or any other digestive enzyme treatment is that
it is up to each individual.  Make sure you read and study up on the subject
and that you understand how to take them before using them.  Many of them
CANNOT be taken after gluten ingestion and so it must be taken as a dietary
supplement before meals.

  For anyone who wants more information you can visit:

www.serenaid.com

www.klaire.com

www.houstonni.com

I hope this clears up a few questions,