From:
Melissa Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Melissa Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Dec 2006 22:12:21 -0700

Thanks everyone!  I got more than 20 responses from celiacs who are very
sensitive but have not trouble with eating it regularly, 4 who are also
sensitive to casein and are fine with it, one who's not very sensitive but
is fine with it.  One suggested I may be allergic to soy, and I'm starting
to suspect that, so I think I'll send off for the soy intolerance test from
enterolab to see if maybe it's cross-reacting.  (the turkey pepperoni is
labelled gluten-free)

Another real possibility is cross-contamination in my own kitchen.  I'm not
the only cook or cleaner who uses the kitchen and I haven't yet made it
gluten free, though I try to be really careful and do most of the cooking so
I know what's what.  I think I'll get rid of sponges in the kitchen, I
always put things in the dishwasher after I scrub them, but not everyone
does that.  This is about the third mysterious reaction when I've used
saucepans...which are what gluten (pasta) in the kitchen is most often
cooked in.  So I'll get my own saucepan for only me to cook and clean in,
and I'll make sure everything is cleaned right.  I'll probably also get my
own potholders and always use a clean dish to rest my spoons on while
cooking (I may have set one on the counter and picked up something
invisible, like pasta water).  It's hard to get through to people how
careful we have to be, gluten is like salmonella to me, but it can't be
killed by heat or chemicals, so in some ways it's worse)  I'll never forget
a relative handing me a baggie to put some of my food in and saying "it's
clean, it just had rolls in it"...at least she mentioned that little detail!
I could never be somebody who washes and reuses baggies ;)

Thanks again everyone!
Melissa