From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 2010 11:04:24 -0400

As I sat in traffic on the Staten Island Expressway. I was playing with my new Droid and gave the verbal search, "gluten-free dining". Up came Jimmy Max Pizza, Seafood, Pasta Bar and Restaurant. The website looks like it has two locations, but I went to the Westerleigh one located at 280 Watchogue Road (just off the Bradley Avenue exit, very convenient to expressway.) Turns out Jimmy has a 2 year old who was diagnosed with celiac, so he decided to offer gluten-free pasta and pizza to his customers, and not just his son. Evidently, he only started doing gluten-free for the restaurant a few weeks ago...but google picked it up.

The pizza was very good. I didn't try the pasta, yet. Pizza is rice crust. Pasta is corn. I asked.

Website is www.jimmymax.com, phone number is 718-983-6715.  (I did not explore the other Jimmy Max, at Great Kills, and don't know where this is on Staten Island, but if it's more convenient for you, the phone number on the website is 718-984-6299.

The server seemed to know all about it, which means, he actually talked with his staff. Jimmy does the prep work separately from regular wheat stuff, and even bakes the pizza in a dedicated oven. I was told.

So add it to your list, if you're going through Staten Island. Up until now (and we go quite often), we stopped at Carrabbas and Outback at the Staten Island Mall, and we used to stop at Charlie Browns Steakhouse, but they goofed up too much, with changes in staff that I stopped going there, for now.  There is also a gluten-free cafe near the Staten Island ferry, but it's all very health-food-ish...no salt, no sugar, not spicey....not for me. I like when you can't tell the difference between gluten and gf.