From:
Barb & Glenn Hicks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barb & Glenn Hicks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 17:40:34 -0600

Hi Everyone,

Last night the episode of Yes, Dear on CBS was about a little boy who was bullied by other kids at school.  Basically, the entire episode made fun of this little boy and depicted him as a nerd who was constantly tormented and no one liked him or wanted to include him in activities.

The son of one of the main characters in the show got in trouble at school for bullying the little boy, so as punishment, his father made him invite the little boy over to play.  The father said that he was hopeful that some of his son's attributes would rub off on the little boy and make him "cool."

When the father dropped him off, he handed over the boy's backpack and mentioned that it contained "gluten free snacks" along with a change of clothing, etc.  They made fun of the fact that he had special snacks and a change of clothing in case he had an accident.  They didn't come out and say accident, but the implication was there.

I really feel that the entire episode was in poor taste and have written CBS to let them know of my thoughts.  Between the idea that children being bullied is funny and people who are required to have special diets is funny, I don't know which is more distasteful.

You can go to http://www.cbs.com/primetime/yes_dear/# and click on "Feedback" at the bottom of the page if you want to give your opinion.

Barbara in Missouri