From:
Michelle Azimov <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michelle Azimov <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2006 22:10:17 -0700

Here is the feedback for Newport Beach.  Thanks to all who responded.

  *** Hermosa Beach *** (between Manhattan Beach and Redondo)
  On Peir Ave is Fritto Misto. They have two kinds of GF pasta you can add many toppings to. The food is good.

  *** Manhattan Beach ***
  PF Changs has a GF menu

  ***Huntington Beach ***

  Carb Smart/Gluten Smart
  19142 Beach Blvd
  (North of Garfield)
  Huntington Beach, CA

*** Newport Beach ***

1. Cafe' R & D, 555 Newport Ctr. Dr.
2. Fleming's Steakhouse, 455 Newport Ctr. Dr.
3. P.F. Chang's, 1145 Newport Ctr. Dr.
4. Pei Wei Asian Diner, 1302 Bison Ave.
5. Roy's, 453 Newport Ctr. Dr.
6. Sage Restaurant, 2531 Eastbluff Dr.
7. Thaifoon, 857 Newport Ctr. Dr. 949-644-0133 (www.thaifoon.com)
  8. Chili's
9. Joe's Crab Shack
    10. Steak
  11. Wahoo's
  12. Sage (Eastbluff Shopping Center Or Crystal Cove Promenade)
        949-718-9650/ 949-715-7243

As usual, check with the waiter/chef to make sure they are still in a GF Frame of Mind.

*** Other suggestions ***

  Take goodies from home.  The Silly Yak bakery ships all over the U.S. (www.sillyyakbakery.com)    Click the Gluten Free Products button.  The GF Majestic Valley Sour Cream Coffeecake is amazing.  The GF Cinnamon Swirl Bread has a recipe for Double-Decker French Toast w/ a layer of bananas

  *** Commentary ***

  We had the WORST experience at Thaifoon in Newport Beach, CA.  We had
been told they had a gf menu, which they did.  We sat down to order, reviewing all the necessary substitutions.  Some items said avoid products with whey.  Now this was a gf menu, not a gf/cf menu.  I got a manager to see what that issue was and to also review our intended selections.  He checked back with the chef and said what I had questioned was fine.  We ordered the fried rice, letting our server know we needed the gf tamari substitution sauce.  We got fried rice with egg and veggies but no sauce and an attitude when we sent it back.  We ordered a chicken with a substituted curry sauce and we explained as we ordered plain chicken - not the marinated one.  It looked battered so again I called the manager.  The chef had dipped it in flour since it wasn't marinated!  It is nice that places are trying to accomodate our needs, but it is horrible that we actually ate some of it. We had eaten a whole order of some peanut chicken also and who knows what we ate. When a
 restaurant has a gf menu, you assume it will be safe, especially after asking the manager lots of questions before ordering and having him check with the kitchen.  I recommended they remove the menu until their kitchen staff was properly trained.  It would have been easier to walk into a random restaurant without any knowledge of the gf requirements, and explained
exactly what I wanted/needed.  I strongly recommend avoiding this place!