From:
Joanne Hinton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 1997 10:32:12 -0800

hello all!

I just got back from my vacation at disney world, and several people had
asked me to post about it as they were planning on a vacation there.
With regards to food, my experience was varied.  A couple of tips:

1.  If you call the reservations desk wdw-dine to request a gf meal with
your reservation, the restaurant probably won't get it.  The
reservations desk just does reservations they enter it into a computer,
but in my experience, the couple of times I requested a special diet
through reservations they didn't have it at the restaurant.  At your
hotel, ask the front desk to call the restaraunt. If you have
reservations, the restaraunt will make a note that you need to talk to
the chef.

2.  If you are staying at one of the resorts in wdw, avoid the
breakfasts.  For the most part, every breakfast i went to had a $20
buffet service kind of thing.  You didn't actually got to a buffet line,
but they brought out a heaping plate of food (everyone gets the same)
and refill it as often as you want.  You can ask for a special plate w/o
the waffles, etc. but money wise it wasn't worth it.

3.  We stayed at the polynesian resort, and they wanted to charge us $5
a night for a fridge in the room, but my parents who stayed out at old
key west resort had both a fridge and a microwave.  This kind of info
may be helpful when you are making a reservation if you want to bring
your own food.  The polynesian is more expensive, but had fewer room
amenities.

4.  For the most part, when I talked to chef's they were very helpful.
Particularly at King Stephan's resteraunt at the Castle.  The chef there
came out personally and he helped me put together a meal that i could
eat.  Another place, the sci fi dining (in MGM) i talked to the waiter,
he knew exactly what I was talking about and made some reccomendations.
Then after I ordered mashed potatoes (at most places these are made
fresh from real potatoes) he came back and said that at this particluar
place they werent made fresh and the chef suggested i try something
else.  I found that particularly helpful.

5.  If you are travelling with children, the character meals are really
entertaining, but almost all were buffet style, which I personally had
difficulty with, but then again I have other dietary restrictions,
so...it narrowed the buffet choices considerably.

That is about all i can think of right now.  if there are any questions,
feel free to email me and i will try to answer as best as i can.  hope
this info helps!

--
joanne
fairbanks ak