Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 05:24:25 -0700

Sorry this summary took so long to get out!  I should know better than
to write a question during busy times at school! Thankfully, summer
vacation is here.  Yay!

Here is my original question, followed by a brief sumamry of replies:

Before I was diagnosed Celiac, I ate fruit on the bottom yogurts often--
by themselves or on top of Rice Chex.  However too much yogurt would
cause constipation issues, so I stopped eating it before my diagnosis of
Celiac.  Now, I haven't read up much on yogurt since going gluten-free,
as wasn't certain what brands were safe, and more concerned about other
products.  Now I am looking for gluten-free and hopefully organic
yogurts in my area, and found Stonyfield's organics introduced at a
local Walmart, of all places! I don't seem to have a problem with most
dairy products, but yogurt had caused mild constipation when I ate it
too often.  I wonder now-- was it the gluten or something else?  I
haven't ever had any obvious trouble with other dairy products.

Also, does anyone know any good, nonpasteurized, non-homogenized
commercial dairy products?  I have read that pasteurization is not
necessary in today's age of sanitation, and actually kills off much of
the good that dairy can give those of us who can stomach it.  ((I was
raised on simple, strained goat milk as a child- it was lovely!))

This is what Stonyfield had to say about their products--some of which
are gluten-free.  Since the gluten they do report is from grain alcohol,
would the distillation process actually deal with this issue as it has
with most vinegars? ((I am ignorant concerning grain alcohols as I don't
drink or use them in cooking.))

"Does your yogurt contain gluten?

Though we don't add gluten, there is an immeasurable amount of gluten in
our yogurt, which comes from the processing of the fruit and flavors
with a grain alcohol. The only flavors we can be absolutely certain have
no traces of gluten are our nonfat, lowfat and whole milk plain yogurts.

We are still in the process of learning more about Celiac disease and
have been told that some individuals are sensitive to even miniscule
amounts of gluten. We have difficulty answering questions because we are
concerned about giving out information to individuals who have unique
and sensitive health issues without the person going through their
doctor, especially since the outcome could be very serious."

---------------------------------------

A couple of people suggested buying plain yogurt and flavoring it with
syrup, honey, or fruit compote or preserve.   Two people person
suggested that I should make my own yogurt to avoid the risk.

One person said they only use Yoplait yogurts, another said Dannon plain
is their personal choice.  Another recommended Columbo.  One said that
all he/she uses is Stoneyfield. Another said I might look for other
organic commercially sold yogurts as well, such as Frivan, which was
completely GF.  Brown Cow was another recommended brand.

The majority consensus was that Stoneyfield Farms plain yogurts are safe
and that the flavored yogurts are probably safe because: "...The grain
alcohol is distilled so all the gluten is left behind when the alcohol
is "evaporated off...."

Several people agreed that the company was being responsibly cautious or
protectng themselves from liability in conservatively describing the
contents of their products.

Several people either cautioned me against using unpasteurized dairy--
or said about what this person said: "Only a few states allow the sale
of unpasteurized milk... it probably is much cleaner than the regular
pasteurized milk. Those dairymen have to jump through much stricter
hoops than the regular ones do. Check with your health food store. They
usually carry it if they are allowed to. They will know if it is
available in your area or not and where you can get it if it is."

-------------

here were some other thoughtful comments I wouldlike to share: (My added
comments are in (()). )

"If you became constipated after eating "too much" (a bit vague since it
isn't quantified) it may very well have been all the sugar in the fruit-
in-bottom yogurt. It is loaded with sugar (in varying forms including
the corn syrups) which can be extremely constipating. Also, I hope you
are no longer eating Rice Chex as they are not GF due to the malt syrup.
Have you tried Health Valley's 'Rice Crunch 'Ems!'? "

((*I would like to know where I might buy something that emulates rice
chex-- I haven't found anything in local health food stores/grocery
sections, and I miss that sort of cereal))

-----------------------

Just a clarification here, by constipated you don't mean that it causes
you to not 'go' for one day or anything do you? Celiac's usually have
such chronic diarreha that they often think skipping one bowel movement
one day is constipated, it's not!

*(this was a good point--actually, I was experiencing hard bowel
movements which caused all sorts of discomforts, and yes-- skipping a
bowel movement-- I never have had too much trouble with diarrhea,
actually, but that was enough for me to feel concerned.)

--------

"I would suggest you to go to this other exellent site:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages There are good and
knowledgeable people there to answer your questions, and Abigail's gf
food, product and medication list.

Moreover, I have voluntarily posted thousands of GF recipes."

----------

"There is a whole lot about yogurt -- for one thing, it has
lactobacillus, which is the same stuff that is in probiotics. A lot of
the problems with celiac have to do with the problems caused by
undigested food causing the wrong kind of bacteria to grow, and taking
probiotics helps put the right kind back in place. Now, my own feeling
has been, that when you do this, you get something of a "rebound"
effect. That is, most celiacs have a bit of diarrhea all the time, so
when you STOP having it you get constipated (maybe the normal
pushing/paristalisis that goes on has been out of practice). I eat lots
of other probiotic foods now on a regular basis, and things have
normalized a LOT. The book Nuturing Traditions goes into that whole
thing. So does www.healingcrow.com.  There is a whole group of people
that are into that: at yahoogroups, NuturingTraditions group or BeyondPrice..."

((Thanks to all for your excellent advice!  I would like to report that
since I received these e-mails, I have been eating some yogurt--usually
blended or fruit on the bottom-- almost every day with no ill effects,
whatsoever. Perhaps it was simply a problem brought on by other symptoms
of the disease, as I was barely diagnosed the last time I ate yogurt.  I
am relievedto be able to add it to my diet again.

Smiles,
Maggs))