From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2008 11:50:27 -0800

For the purpose of generating interesting discussion I originally posted the following:

"I've been on this diet for 8 years. I've never once called a manufacturer to verify GF status of ANY product. I've just read the labels w/ due caution and avoided purchasing products w/ vague or suspicious sounding ingredients. [Many celiac oriented websites contain comprehensive lists of suspicious ingredients to avoid.] Only once in these 8 years have I reason to suspect that a food I purchased contained hidden gluten. And this was 7 years ago during my first year on the GF diet well before food processors starte d carefully labeling for allergens. I'm more confident now than ever about the gluten status of foods from reading the labels. I seriously doubt I'll ever feel the need to call a manufacturer to verify gluten status.  As hard as I try, I average getting accidentally "glutenated" about 3 or 4  times a year. Every incident except for the one I referred to above was due to cross contamination from grand children's hands & fingers, my or other family members' mistakes at home, or from eating "out." Even w/ the mistakes I do make from time to time, I'm enjoying splendid health."

I received a variety of responses which are summarized below. [As usual, my obnoxious comments are in brackets.]
Valerie in Tacoma
-----------------
we must have been diagnosed about the same time and I, like you, read the labels and don't spend a lot of time worrying about the product if it seems right by the label. However, last week I bought Krogers onion soup mix, read the label and thought it was o.k. but on second thought decided to call the company. It had barley in the product and I would never have known. It pays to be safe.Nancy
---------------
We had to call them in 1976 ... the labeling laws have been changing for the better!------------
Until the Food Allergen Labeling Law went into effect, manufacturers did have to disclose ingredients that comprise less than 2% of the product by weight.  Lots of trace things slipped by, including flour in spice mixes and flour usting on packaging lines. That's probably what made you sick... The new labels oftern say "conlains less than 2% of ----" & I think "HURRAH, FINALLY!"  Best part of the law is that the law has TEETH and failure to comply, while difficult to prove, can result in criminal & cival penatlies (fines) and product recalls.  Since the new GF labeling will be voluntary, manufactures can opt....Not so q/ the allergy labeling! I totally agree w/ you about reading labels. If inside the package doesn't match what's on the outside, the manufacture had big problems!   People need to learn the rules and the terms.  Lots of questions here are needless if people did their homework.  One of the best sites I've seen is at http://www.gfutah.org/label_reading.htm  Check it out if you haven't already!  the USDA handles meat & poultry & fixed problem w/ their labels in the early 1990s...Turkey & hams questions each fall can be solved just by reading the labels!Bev in Milwaukee
So, you just don't eat anything with "natural flavoring" in it?  Those sorts of ingredients are when I might call or email a company.

You are very lucky to be so proficient at reading labels. For my 18 year old son however, he makes calls to manufacturers on a weekly basis to ensure that he does not ingest gluten. I say... whatever works is fine!
Valerie,Although you can trust some products by just reading the labels, how would you know if an ingredient (such as a natural flavoring or modified food starch) was derived from a wheat, barley or rye source before the food allergen labeling law came out?  Did someone ask this question or did you just decide to post your opinion on it?

[I didn't post my opinion, I only posted what I do.] I don't think it is a good idea to promote not checking with manufacturing companies on a list meant for people newly diagnosed with celiac disease. The majority of health care professionals specializing in the management of celiac disease encourage patients to check with manufaturers on questionable products. Please be cautious about what you put out on this list.
[In other words, this person does not want to see anyone post experiences or opinions that are in conflict w/ their own. ]