Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 2003 20:53:06 EST

I take exception to some of the comments made by Abigail Bergeron about my
article, "Is vinegar safe for celiacs? Scientists say yes." I did not write the
article (nor did I submit it in response to Ms. Bergeron's quest for beliefs)
to make her or anyone else think vinegar is safe. The intent of the article
was to provide the scientific facts about vinegar so readers could make their
own decisions.
       Those who are still concerned about vinegar can do what I did. Go to
the experts. Call up the food chemists, the scientists, the food processors who
have spent years dealing with these matters and ask them. Contact the Vinegar
Institute and ask them if they recommend celiacs consume gluten-free vinegar.
The answer will be yes, but the answer also will be that they consider
vinegar to be gluten free (with the usual exception of malt vinegar).
       The problem with this discussion is that for a variety of reasons we
shouldn't be having it at all.  The most important reason is that distilled
white vinegar is almost always, if not always, made from corn. Another reason is
that the "theory" of how distillation works has been confirmed by millions of
instances of its actually working the way that's expected.
       Those who thought vinegar could contain gluten and irresponsibly told
the rest of the celiac community did us all a disservice. Virtually all of the
foods celiacs consume have not been tested for gluten. If we were going to
start testing foods, the place to start would be with those that have a
reasonable chance of containing gluten. Vinegar would not be on that list.
       By coincidence, the next issue of Gluten-Free Living contains another
article on vinegar. I wrote both articles because we continue to get calls and
questions from celiacs who are worried and confused. They want more
information and, like the first article, the upcoming article offers information. It is
not my intent, nor is it in my power, to tell people what to think.
       For more than eight years, Gluten-Free Living has provided reliable
information based on thorough research to the celiac community. We take our
responsibility very seriously and our record speaks for itself.

Ann Whelan
Editor/Publisher,
Gluten-Free Living