From:
Becky Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Becky Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 2004 09:32:52 -0600

Wow, thanks so much for all the responses!! I had an overwhelming response for Gluten-free pantry's mix...seems like everyone really loves them! I had a few other responses that follow below...thanks a bunch everyone!!

Becky

Hi,
Treat yourself and buy the Rebecca Reilly's Gluten-Free Baking book.
I struggled and searched for a suitable pie crust until I tried hers.  It is the Flaky crust.
Mireille, who has posted "The Best of Mireille" recipe thread at:  http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/start

I use the recipe for graham cracker crust using gf cookies

The gluten free pantry pie crust mix is very good. I've used it several
times until I found one in Living Without magazine and that is by Beth
Hillson from the GF Pantry.
It was in the Fall 2003 issue.  I don't think I can type it out for you due
to copyright laws and etc but I do vouch for her recipe.  It might be on
their web site.  I recently found through King Arthur Flour catalog, a very
wide spatula that makes it easy to lift the rolled out GF dough and get it
into the pan.  It has been a life saver for me.  Nancy
I have no financial interest in the magazine or the GF Pantry foods, just
like to bake.

For a great apple pie recipe, go to
http://www.glutenfree-supermarket.com/piecrustmix.aspx

Its great.  By the way, they have the best pie crust mix I have ever tasted.

Perfect Pie Crust   1 cup white rice flour 3/4 cup potato
starch 1/2 cup tapioca starch 1 Tbsp sugar 1 tsp salt 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 cup shortening 4 ounce cream cheese, softened 1 large egg 2 large egg
yolks 1 tsp vanilla 3 Tbsp very cold water Combine dry ingredients. Cut in
shortening and cream cheese with pastry cutter until the size of peas. Add
eggs, vanilla, and water. Stir into flour mixture until smooth. Don't worry
about over handling. Form 3 balls. Makes 3 pie crusts. Single Crust Pie:
Place a ball in the center of a 8 or 9-inch pie tin and pat out covering
bottom and sides of pan, press top edge into a design. Bake at 425 F for 15
minutes or until crust is slightly brown. Double Crust Pie: Pat a pastry
ball in pie pan for bottom crust. Pour filling into crust. Roll out top
crust on a cornstarch dusted pastry cloth and covered rolling pin. (May roll
out crust between sheets of plastic wrap to desired size, remove top plastic
sheet and use remaining sheet to reverse dough onto the filling.) Bake as
directed for filling used.

Donna Jo's Dream Pastry
CSA/USA Lifeline - Spring 1995

1/2 c tapioca flour 1/2 c (1 stick) Margarine
1/2 c cornstarch 1/2 c Butter-flavor Crisco
1/4 c potato starch flour 1 egg, cold
1 c sweet rice flour 1 T GF vinegar
1 rounded teas. guar gum 4 T ice water
1/2 teas salt Sweet rice flour for rolling
Dash sugar (optional)
(Xanthan gum can be used instead of Guar gum)

Blend together the flours, gum, salt, and sugar.  Cut in the cold margarine and Crisco in small dabs until you have shortening the size of lima beans (not cornmeal).
Beat the egg using a fork; add the vinegar and ice water.  Stir into the flour mixture, forming a ball.  You may knead this a bit, since rice flour crusts can stand handling.  Refrigerate the dough an hour or more to chill.  (I chill mine overnight.)
Divide dough and roll out on a sweet rice-flour board (or on floured plastic wrap, for easier handling).  Place in a pie tin.  If using plastic wrap, invert the dough into the pan, shape before removing the plastic.  Bake as directed for the filling used.
For a baked crust, prick the pastry with a fork on sides and bottom.  Bake the crust in a preheated 450* oven for 10-12 minutes, or until slightly browned.  Cool before filling.  Makes enough for a 2-crust 9" pie, + 1 pie shell

Gillian's foods has a ready made pie crust tell your local store to bring it in for you
enjoy

We just had a great apple pie made from the Pamela's pancake and baking mix.  My  mother made it by using her apple pie receipe and then supstituting the mix for the flour in the crust.  It was sooooooo good!  The Pamela's web site has a  lot of recipes for things to make with their mix,too.