From:
Patricia Lenihan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patricia Lenihan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 06:20:44 +0000

Hello list,
Thanks for your thoughtful replies!  I hope the following summary is helpful to others who also may be looking into this.
Patricia
______________________
--When I orgininally was diagnosed and looked into bread machines, this is who I was told was in the know.  red star yeast,  1-877-677-7000, get a pen and paper ready, they spout brands and machine numbers pretty quickly.

--Regal has a removable crumb tray and is the easiest machine to keep clean.  Has indicators that tell you what stage you are at in kneading, rising, baking.  There is a raisin bread cycle with a beeper and a bread cycle, each taking 3 hours plus a cool down. The dough cycle is 1 hr 15 min.  This machine loads liquids, then dry ingredients and yeast last.

--I use a toastmaster machine and have no problems.

--The zojurushi is powerful and can be manually programmed.  However, I like the texture of bread better after beating it in my kitchenaid mixer and cooking it in the oven. I very rarely use my zo at this point. If you don't have a kitchenaid I would make that my first purchase!

--Gluten-free bread only needs to rise once; whereas wheat bread usually gets stirred and left to rise a second time.  I was amazed at how much better the same yeast bread recipe turned out in a bread machine versus the regular oven.

--The Zojirushi has 2 kneading paddles, which is usually recommended for gluten free breads.  I finally decided on
the Zojirushi and was able to get it for $175 on Amazon.com.  I'm very happy with it!

--Zojirushi bread machine (along with other gluten free items) is available through the mail order catalogue, or directly at the store in Norwich, Vermont. [The King Arthur Flour Baker's Catalogue P. O. Box 876 Norwich, Vermont 05055-0876]

--The zorirushi is a good heavy duty machine.  I purchased mine on line from Manna from Anna, who also has the best bread mix for celiacs.

--We have been using an older National Brand.  Maybe they don't make it anymore. We set the first setting for Basic Bread; then after an hour and a half when the bread looks good, we hit the stop/reset; turn the menu to Quick Bread, and hit the setting to 60 minutes to bake, and push Start.

--National is the only machine which made a traditional rectangular loaf.  There is a separate dispenser for the yeast.  It is released 15 min. into the cycle at the end of the first kneading.  This is also when you add any raisins or nuts.  There is no beeper for these additions.

--I just bought a Breadman Ultimate machine from Amazon (best price online).  It makes 1, 1.5, and 2 lb. loaves and does a good job on all types of breads so far.  I've had Breadman machines before, when I could have regular breads, and they did well with all heavy doughs.

--We get better results with the fast breadmaking setting for normal bread [rather than the GF setting]. This takes 1 hr 55 minutes on our machine..... For more tips on breadmaking with a bread machine you can visit ww.lansellcottage.com.au  . It is tailored for the flour mix we are using but also has some great other hints and recipes that may be adaptable to your breadmachine.
_______
Again, many thanks, everyone.