From:
Adam Schroeder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adam Schroeder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2007 08:42:17 -0400

Here is a summary of the responses I received for gluten free sauces and
Lunch ideas with rice.

:)

Instant microwave meal:  Go-go Rice
www.minsley.com

-------
I mix a tablespoon of the dry sauce packet of Mrs Leepers GF Tuna casserole and the a tablespoon of the dry sauce packet of Lundberg gf creamy parmesan risotto with
1/2 cup water and boil for a couple minutes.  It thickens to a nice sauce that I add to rice and/or chicken.

-------

Your favorite salad dressing, Italian perhaps, with some canned chicken, if you have cooked veggies to add even better either cold or hot.  We use Good Season Packets and add Olive Oil and Vinegar either Red Wine or Apple Cider.

I like a natural sweet & hot sauce that is sold at Asian markets, they have a variety of types which its sweet and spicy and add some shrimp cold or hot it's good.

My favorite is to get the frozen shrimp from Sam's Club along with a bag of broccoli and I thaw them out in the colander in the sink while the rice is cooking, I run cold water over them since they are already cooked you can either heat them up or divvy it up with the rice to make meals to take.
Adding a bit or Garlic Powder or Old Bay and if you can do soy do safe soy and carry it along.

I've also put my soy dairyfree sour cream mixed salad dressing on top of the rice and veggies.

All kinds of Taco Sauces work well and Salsas which can be found in convenient  container in the store.  I tend to add cooked Egg Beaters scrabbled to my dishes for me, I allergic to egg yolks.

----

I cook a combination of half rice and half quinoa (cooks same proportions and same time as rice does either on a stove or in a rice cooker, so instead of all rice I do half and half).  Quinoa has more nutrition and flavor than rice.

I bring this to work for my lunch: rice and quinoa mixture mixed with some leftover cooked vegetables and meats (for example: peas, corn, green beans, chicken, pork, beef, ham).  I add GF soy sauce or homemade GF teriyaki sauce (using GF soy sauce

-----

We make a very easy marsala sauce.  It's not as one-step as opening a
can, but it is easy and reliable.  Amaze and impress your friends!
Saute the chicken so it is mostly done in a little oil.  Bits of browned chicken will accumulate on the bottom of the pan.  Then transfer the chicken out of the pan onto a plate and add some chicken broth, marsala wine (or sherry) your favorite seasoning (we like something with garlic and onions - you could also use herbs), a little soy sauce or worcestershire sauce to the pan.  Use a fork to mix it with the chicken bits.  It will get your pan clean at the same time it adds flavor.  If you want to make it thicker, pour a little of your liquid off into a container and add corn or arrowroot starch to that and mix it up before you add it back to the rest of the sauce (will evenly distribute the flour and prevent lumps).  Then add your chicken back and cook it a little longer until you are comfortable that the chicken is hot and done.

If you like onions or mushrooms, add those to the mix and saute them with the chicken drippings and broth.

This style of cooking can be used to make virtually any sauce from scratch - vary the wine, the broth, the seasonings.  Have fun!

-----

One of our favorites is to add frozen broccoli or other stir fry or greens
Gf bouillion and soy sauce or teryacki sp?

spaghetti sauce and pepperoni topped with Italian cheese mixture

tossing rice with some parmesan and butter then adding some kind of cream or soymilk makes a risotto

Have you considered a take out chicken such as Costco to add that roasted flavor? A piece added to rice cooker would flavor the rice pretty well?

Creamy sauce can be made by adding white bean flour to cold water then heating in microwave. It will taste like what ever flavoring you add.

Pace salsa is super for Mexican flavor.

----

I use teriyaki sauce on pretty much everything - esp if there is rice

GF soy sauce
Fresh grated ginger - (or bottled spice) Fresh grated garlic (or ground garlic) White wine A tad of sugar

Voila - yummy sauce - you can make it ahead and keep it in refrigerator - or you may freeze it  - in a sealed container - it does not solidify.....

----

I ate red beans over brown rice with a Hillshire Farm sausage
and some spices like a hot banana pepper for 8 years.  Then I found out
you can make a sandwich out of Van's g/f frozen waffles which
you can get at Wal-Mart for 1.76.  I buy several boxes at a time
and leave one thawed out in the refrigerator.  All you need is a
good toaster oven and plenty of lunch meat and cheese, mayo, lettuce
and onion.
Charlie in SC

---

have you tried the Starkist tuna packets?  In the days I ate fish I used to mix the spicy one with rice for a meal. I rather enjoyed it.
(the lemon one has gluten in it)

------

We absolutely love the Braggs salad dressing http://www.bragg.com/products/vinaigrette.html

I'll cut up and sauté a big batch of mushrooms and put them over rice w/ a little extra dressing :)

*******
*******