From:
Chris Spreitzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Apr 1998 22:04:24 PDT

Hi Everybody

I looked through the archives to try to find some mention of testing for
gluten in foods/medicines.  It would seem to me that if there is enough
interest by companies to produce GF food products, then surely there must
be some interest by someone somewhere in developing a kitchen gluten test
kit.  I don't think in would be that hard to do - a simple color change
type thing to indicate  if there is any gluten in a questionable product.
Presumably you could attach a dye to an antibody to gluten which would
change when it bound to the gluten antigen.  It would not have to be
quantitative.  I can't think of why it would be more complicated to do than
a home pregnancy test.  The reason I'm wondering about this is because I
wanted to give my daughter some Triaminic syrup for a runny nose.  The
Stokes pharmacy people said that it was okay, but when I called the
manufacturer they said that they couldn't guarantee that their product was
GF since they bought bulk this and that from their suppliers.... You know
the usual story.  Anyway, I got to thinking that if I had my own test kit
here, then I wouldn't have to worry about these conflicting stories about
products.   Does anybody know of any such product?  Has there ever been any
discussion of such a product?  I'd really be interested in hearing about it.

Thanks

Chris in CA
Mom of Eileen, Anna, and Laura