From:
Carol Lydick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 18:46:09 -0500

I e-mailed the distributor of Steel Bars and was intially given an all
clear response that there were no grain products used in the bar.  When
I read the ingredients, I did not see any malt listed on the bar that I
looked at and then after my commnication, I e-mailed the response to the
list.  One astute person saw the malt and I immediately contacted the
company again.  This is the whole of the several communications that
were sent to me by the company and distributor.  Obviously one cannot
even trust the company's information.  I hope that we can change this
someday.  In the meantime I want to apologize for the all clear message
I sent the list.  The real deal is that STEEL BARS are NOT gf.  These
are the messages received after asking for a double check of the
information.  Carol in NJ
Dear Ron:

I represent Bodytrends.com, we are an on-line retailer of Steel Bars.
I have had several questions about ingredients of the bars for people
who are celiac.  >From the wrapper I don't see any ingredients that
should effect these people.  ie-oats, wheat, rye, barley or soybeans.
Also people with peanut allergies are inquiring as to whether the
bars contain peanuts, and if there are some that do, are the ones that
are not, made on the same machines that make the peanut products? Thank
you for your help.

Healthfully-Lisa A. Leonard
<[log in to unmask]> 01/11/00 06:13PM

(reply)

Lisa,
My understanding of Celiac Sprue is that there is a reaction to
gluten which requiring the avoidance of the following grains: wheat,
rye, barley, oats, buckwheat, millet, amaranth, and quinoa.  The
following do not contain gluten and can be eaten in any amount: corn,
potato, rice, soybeans, tapioca, arrowroot, and carob.  Steel Bars
should be ok with regard to gluten but I suggest a bite or two before
consuming an entire bar, just in case.  Steel Pro contains glutamine
peptide, hydrolyzed wheat protein, but it is hydrolyzed and therefore
should not cause a problem.

The Malt blend might contain a small amount of gluten from barley.
Be sure your customer knows this before consuming any steel bars.  As
I said, each individual case of Celiac varies, one person might be
able to eat a little malt another may not.

Steel Bars and Steel Pro may contain trace amounts of peanuts in
every flavor no matter whether it is peanut flavor or not.  Anything
produced in a plant that uses peanuts for any product may cross
contaminate another product with minute amounts of protein from peanut
which could cause a reaction in extreme cases.

Best regards,

Alan E. Shugarman, M.S., R.D.
Weider Nutrition International