From:
"Deborah L. Nyman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 1997 11:14:45 -0800

Hello everyone.  I've been lurking on the list and responding privately
since November.  This is my first public post.  Thanks to all of you for
your support and helpful information.  CD would be an overwhelming
obstacle if not for resources like this.  Now - about the chicken...
I've been missing the delicious and crispy oven-fried chicken that I
used to make, before CD.  I always breaded the chicken with Panco, which
is made from dense breads like French or Italian.  I decided to try
making some gluten free Panco from the dense Ener-G breads to use on the
chicken.  It was good and worked well.  I also used a free-ranging
chicken (no hormones or bastings).  Recipes follow:

Gluten-Free Panco

Cut several slices of GF bread into cubes.  Put 1 to 1 1/2 cups of cubes
in the blender and blend until you have coarse crumbs.  (If you put too
much in the blender, they don't crumble as well and glob together.)
Spread the crumbs over a flat baking pan (no spray or oil).  Bake at 350
degrees for 5 to 10 minutes.  Watch it while baking and stir frequently.
 You want the crumbs to dry and be crisp, not brown.  Keeps well in a
ziplock bag.

Delicious Oven-Fried Chicken

Make sure your chicken is gluten-free and cut into serving size pieces.
I always skin my chicken as well, less fat and calories.  Rinse well
with water.

Turn oven to 375 degrees and prepare baking pan.  I use my cast iron
skillet, but have also used a 9"x13" glass baking dish when making a
larger quantity.  In the past I melted a tablespoon or two of butter in
the baking dish.  This time I used a basting brush and brushed a small
amount of olive oil over the bottom of the pan.  Set aside.

Put GF Panco in a bowl big enough to roll the chicken pieces in.  Add
seasonings.  I use a little salt and a combination of herbs.  Use what
you and your family like.

In another bowl, beat one or two eggs.  If necessary, add a drop or two
of water to make them frothy and more blendable.  If you can't tolerate
eggs, you can use an egg substitute or just dip the chicken pieces in
water.

Dip each piece of chicken in the beaten egg OR water, making sure it is
well coated.  Now coat it with the seasoned GF Panco.  Place in prepared
baking pan.  If you leave a little space between the pieces, they brown
more evenly and get crispy.

Bake at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes; turn the pieces over and
continue baking another 30 minutes.   Keep an eye it the last 10 minutes
or so.  You want the chicken to be done, but crispy on the outside and
juicy on the inside.    This is the closest tasting to the pan-fried
chicken we enjoyed before we knew about fat and cholesterol.  My family
loves it!  It travels well to picnics or pot-lucks and is good cold.

Deborah Nyman
Portland, Oregon