From:
Jane Conrad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 May 1996 13:51:04 AST

Hello everyone:

Calcium:  White Gold

I just wanted to write and let you know that last night I attended a meeting
with our local Celiac Chapter.  They had a guest speaker, an expert on
Osteoporosis, who is one of the doctors at the Osteoporosis Clinic here.

 This whole issue of calcium loss in celiacs and celiac women particularly,
is of great concern to me as I'm sure it is to everyone.  What's even more
concerning is the difference of opinion on the entire "Milk" issue.  He said
children (he didn't mention anything about celiac children, just children in
general) who drank milk as children generally had stronger bones as adults
than those who didn't drink milk .  According to him , Calcium is one of the
most important minerals in our bodies, but it needs Vitamin D as well, and
most milk is fortified with Vitamin D so milk is a "good thing".  He said
there are other foods that are a good source but didn't go into that.  He did
however mention that a high protein diet will delete calcium from the body
and that exercise is a definite tool against calcium loss.  Blah, blah, blah,
etc, etc.  It absolutely amazes and disturbs me on all these different
doctors, scientists, chemists can do studies and research on milk and come up
with totally different opinions on whether its good for you or doesn't really
do anything, but we've just been brainwashed over the years to think it
is!!!!!!  Because I've read alot lately about this issue, and I'm at a loss
on what to do.  I'm seriously thinking of starting to drink milk again!!!  I
don't want my bones to get brittle, I suspect they may be softing already
(I'm 38 years old and just celiac diagnosed 8 months ago) and I'm not much of
a salad person.

 Who the heck do you believe?????  He said Tums was a good source of
calcium, but I don't intend to start eating Tums!!!!  Does anyone
else take them as a supplement!

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada