From:
Jacqui Lunchick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Nov 2001 11:21:08 -0500

I recently posted an inquiry looking for voices of experience and had a
terrific number of responses.  Thank you!

I should have written that Max was already on a lactose-free diet
because most of the responses I received thought that lactose must be
the culprit of his diarrhea.  However, I did receive other helpful
information.  I'm sorry that this summary isn't going to be accurate
with numbers because I don't have time to sort and count but here are
some of the hints I received:

- a few suggested that I keep a diary of what he consumes and go back to
foods that I know he can tolerate with slow introduction of others.

- one said that allergy testing was a great idea since many celiacs are
intollerant of other foods.

- one said that allergy testing is ineffective in children under 2
years. Another suggested that it's too early in his healing to do
allergy testing.

- some suggested a gluten free house since it's so hard to prevent
cross-contamination as a factor.

- some said to stay away from too much juice, sugar in general, fatty
foods, uncooked veges or processed foods.

- many people suggested that it simply takes more time for the villi to
heal than just 4 months.

- some suggested supplements that would replace the good bacteria in his
gut.

- some reminded me to call about all products that I buy him.

Many people included attachments for other documents.  I appreciate
everyone's time that they took to respond.  I'm so lucky to have this
listserve.

I'm going to go ahead and have the allergy testing.  I figure it can't
hurt.  I'm quite suspecting that he could have a soy intollerance but
even though I've stopped buying cookies, waffles, crackers or flour
mixes with soy, he's still getting a bit of soy in his Pediasure.  The
GI doesn't want to take Max off that because it's providing so many
important nutrients but if I get proof that soy is what is the problem
then I'll be able to tell my GI that we have to find a different milk
substitute.  I may write again if I finally discover what it is and am
able to fix Max's relentless diarrhea - just to let everyone know.
Thanks again!