Date:
Sun, 21 Mar 2004 10:33:07 EST

 to get gf products close to downtown:

YES!

within walking distance of downtown are two natural/whole foods

stores w/ GF products.  Food Conspiracy Coop is on N 4th Ave, three blocks
north of the 4th

ave. railroad underpass, bwteeen 6th and 7th streets.  Open 9am-8pm

Also, the Toole Avenue Market is a cash-&-carry storefront of the

Tucson Cooperative Warehouse, a major  whole-foods distributor in the

SW.  location, directions and hours are at the Store link from

http://www.tcwfoodcoop.com

Also downtown in the Santa Rita hotel is Cafe Poca Cosa, a fine

mexican restaurant.  The chef, Suzanne Davila, knows about GF needs

and the staff is trained to defer to her for questions about

ingredients in sauces, etc.  Not all of her molés are GF bcause she

uses a chicken bullion in some.  But she knew not to let me have that

one!   A new menu everyday, depending on ingredients an her whim.

$18-$22 dinner range.

Another high-end restaurant that knows GF is Kingfisher Grill, on

Grant Road near Tucson Blvd.   When I go out to eat at Mexican restaurants, I
also ask specifically

about their corn chips - are flour tortillas or sopapillas or coated

items fried in the same oil or not?  Some in town fry their own chips

in dedicated oil, some do not, and some get chips from one of the

local commercial suppliers.  I tend to trust the bulk suppliers, but

will take my own chips if I remember just to be sure.

Also, some corn tamales may also contain wheat flour - make sure you

ask specifically, because the best do not! (IMHO, of course)

http://www.southernarizonaceliacsupport.org/ is our website discussing
restaurants and gf shopping.  I'm not really familiar with the downtown area
(where the Convention Center is) as far as gf shopping goes as I live on the
far northwest side.  But, I do know that it's going to be hard to get very
far by walking as the heat here is *usually* intense.

There is a  Wild Oats relatively near downtown, but definitely a taxi ride
from the
city center.  It is on Speedway.  There is also a food co-op that isn't
too far from downtown that would have some GF food.  We order from
there on a regular basis.  I know nothing about the restaurants in the
downtown area, but there are Tony Romas' and a couple of Outbacks in
the city.  If you don't get a better response from others, please
e-mail me back and I'll supply some more details, okay?   Joy